Friday, October 23, 2009

Hip-Hop Week- Friday: Out With a Bang

Top 5 Hip-Hop Songs About Being A Pimp

If there's any genre that knows a thing or two about pimpin', it's hip-hop. Please forgive the unbelievable brevity of this article, given the huge, huge selection of pimp-related songs. But it's Friday night, and hopefully you have better things to do.

5."P.I.M.P."- 50 Cent. Not a big Fitty fan, but this one reminds us to keep our pimp hands strong. It certainly contains some powerful 'hood rhetoric: "Girl we could pop some champagne and we could have a ball/ We could toast to the good life, girl we could have it all/ We could really splurge girl, and tear up the mall/ If ever you needed someone, I'm the one you should call." Sign me up!

4. "Pimpin' Ain't Easy"- Ice T. Any of you who are fans of "The Godfather" certainly recognize this song. It is, after all, THE THEME; semi-inexplicably, but-- after minimal consideration-- rightfully so. After all, culturally speaking, there is a frighteningly (I hate this word. Too many suffixes) large volume of things in that weird football-shaped middle of the Thug Culture/ Mafia Culture Venn diagram. (Yes, I made one; copies are available upon request for a very reasonable price). "It's pimp or die/ Pimp or die, baby." Mmm. Ain't that the truth.

3. "It's Hard Out Here For a Pimp"- Three 6 Mafia (perf. by actor Terrance Howard). I know it's kind of controversial to put a song written for a film (you might remember 2005's "Hustle & Flow") on this very-exclusive Top 5 List. However, this song and this movie are both THE SHIT. Three 6 Mafia very poignantly remind us of what we always knew, however deep down: pimps are people, too.

2. "Pimpin' All Over The World"- Ludacris. Not only is Luda a pimp, but he's also SMOOTH. Ladies, I dare you to resist the line "Hey gurl, how you doin'?/ You are the woman that I'm really pursuin'/ and I would like to get to know you, can you give me your name?/ if you jot down your number, you'll get mine in exchange." And, come on. Fancy cars? Caviar? Like "P.I.M.P.," this is another song that makes being a ho sound like a BLAST!

1. "Big Pimpin'"- Jay Z. The true pimp's anthem. It contains an aphorism by which I, personally, live my life, and you'd do well to do the same: "You know I thug 'em, fuck 'em, love 'em, leave 'em/ Cause I don't fuckin' need 'em."

And there we are.
I don't know about you guys, but I think Hip-Hop Week was a blast.
I leave you with some words of wisdom from Li'l Wayne: "Safe sex is great sex/ Better wear a latex." Have a good weekend, homies.

And, your final urbandictionary.com entry (this one goes out to Jay-Z! Big ups for makin' BEYONCE your ho fo' life!)
"big pimpin: 1.) phrase that describes a heterosexual man's ability to maintain relationships with multiple simultaneous girlfriends; such relationships are sexual in nature.
'Every true player got at least 3 women: his girlfriend, his mistress, and his bitch. He needs his girlfriend for sex on a regular basis, his mistress for oral sex without reciprocity,and his bitch for the shit that the girlfriend and mistress WON'T do! That's big pimipin!' "
--thejunkie

No comments:

Post a Comment