Friday, October 22, 2010

Fall '10. In a word: Crunchy.

...and I'm not talking about the leaves.

Deja vu? Yes-- that was (kind of) the title of my column in West Michigan NOISE! this month; and though I fear being redundant, I'm going to do a slight follow-up to that...

but only because I'm SO excited about the jam scene right now. Not just in town, but everywhere. It seems like the entire national scene, maybe even the world, is becoming obsessed with jam bands-- especially electro-jam (and straight up (loop/sample-based) electronica-- commonly known as "techno"-- as well), dubstep, and house music. And the bands dominating the movement-- EOTO, Umphrey's McGee, Bassnectar, Pretty Lights, Rebelution etc-- are gracing West Michigan stages this fall.

Umphrey's is rocking out Kzoo State Theatre TONIGHT (10/22) and I COULD NOT BE MORE EXCITED. The Pontiffs Maximus of jam, these guys bring the heat to any venue they play and bring mind-blowing, face-melting, (insert-really-good-rock-show-platitude-here) sets every time. I pride myself on knowing a thing or two about a good live show (no ego-- I just care), and these guys are it. *It. The next generation of movements spurred by The Grateful Dead, Allman Brothers, Gov't Mule, Widespread Panic, etc, we might just be witnessing history in the making with Umph's. Move over, WP, there are some new Boys in town.

State Theatre is not known for its rock-shows. It often favors more mellow acts (I've caught Ryan Adams and the incomparable Merle Haggard there before); perhaps because of the size, the layout, the classy decor, or any number of variables....... however, head to GR and you have a plethora of rowdier venues that were built to rock. Example: the Intersection. Housing bands of every persuasion, this venue is known for packing fans in to the seams and turning up the volume into one sweaty jam fest. And this fall, the Intersection is bringing us the bands to quench our thirst for electro-jam and dubstep: already home to acts like SuperDre, it's bringing in Rebelution tomorrow (10/23), dubstep legend Bassnectar the following week (10/29) and one of my top 5 favorite live acts of all time: EOTO!!!!!!!!! (on 11/07).

So check it out. And like I always say: don't forget your dancin' shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment