Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Brother Bill: Wild On The Whiskey

This review has been in the works for quite some time-- ever since I exchanged a crumpled $10 with a TA at my school for this album: a decidedly old-looking, should-be-on-vinyl, watermarked brown cover, with an out-of-place-looking parental advisory badge smirking in the lower right hand corner. Brother Bill...? Swear words? Weed and alcohol references aplenty? Don't mind if I do.

I had gotten a hold of another of Brother Bill's records previously-- a bunk live recording from the Kraftbrau (may it rest in peace)-- which I, frankly speaking, wasn't thrilled by. (Working at a music store did indeed have its spoils, local-band schwag among them.) While I do love a good live show-- even in a genre by which I'm not thrilled, i.e., country-- I don't typically connect with live albums, and this one in particular really just sounded like... how do I say this?... drunk hillbillies at a 21st century barn-raising.

But, Christ, how far Brother Bill has come. Like a dusted-off bottle of bathtub moonshine, Brother Bill has harnessed their spastic, epileptic-fit-of-five-bar-blues mania into something a little more polished, but still delightfully rough around the edges, in their impressively professional new release (out late '09), "Wild On The Whiskey."

Brother Bill, upping the tempo but clinging stubbornly to their country bootstraps, bash through all 13 tracks at breakneck speed with an in-your-face rockabilly that makes you want to drink fast, dance fast, get in a bar fight and get the hell out of there fast, drive fast (ideally not all in the same night)... putting on the breaks only slightly for their bluesy title track, the last on the record: a (relatively) gentle reprieve before you give it a second listen (or third... or fifth...). Their strongest songs are those playing up their mischievous (and oft felonious) shenanigans (like the anthemic opener, "Drink All Day"); they fall a little flat on the cliche country bullshit that dampens an otherwise balls-out progression of songs; for example the lackluster "16 Hours;" which contains such lyrical flatulence as "fishnet stockings and your hair done up right/ tell your old man you won't be home tonight."

And, I'm calling them out on the Lone Star State namedrops-- c'mon, fellas, country cop-outs? You're better than that (and... you're from Michigan). But the bottom line: this record isn't half bad. Aside from a couple sticky moments for a country un-enthusiast like myself, "Wild On The Whiskey" is well-rounded, intelligent in its own way, and a hell of a lot of fun. And while the album in its entirety probably won't make it into my permanent rotation, you can bet the farm (ha) that I'll be catching their next show.

Cute tagline: Lone-star? How 'bout 5-star? (Honestly: more of a 3.5 [are we doing half-stars?]) Brother Bill-- I hate country. But thanks for making a (semi) believer out of an indie snob.

But don't take my word for it (Levar Burton shoutout.) Check out their MySpace.

TVJ songpick: "Party Hardy Swing." [Usually what I like to do with a songpick is choose a lyric and let it speak for itself; let's go ahead and do that:] "Let's party hardy, rock n roll, drink a 6-pack and smoke a bowl." Having actually partied with at least one member of this band, I'll resist temptation to (actually) say "I wanna party with you guys!" But, if we learn one thing from this album, let it be this extra-special note to musicians; if you want free shots next time you play a show, write an entire album devoted your favorite poison. I know at least a few hick-rockers in town getting some free shots of Jack next time I see them.
-thejunkie

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:06 AM

    Obviously, you don't like country music and seem to consider all associations to it to be unintelligent. Perhaps someone so biased shouldn't be reviewing music outside of your indie genre. Your insults sound like snobbery and your compliments are back-handed. Try trading your sarcasm for talented writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. if you think i didnt like this album, perhaps you aren't reading closely. i thoroughly enjoy this album and, for the most part, dont even consider it "country" and don't find anything i said "insulting." it's curious that you used the word "unintelligent" as i actually used the word "intelligent" to describe this album. hmm...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:06 PM

    Brother Ron says...

    HA! what can i say... my wife is protective. we didnt know about this review till yesterday. i see its 5 months old. at first read this review seems quite negative. maybe its the compliment style?...

    -decidedly old-looking/ should be on vinyl/ out of place
    -i frankly wasnt thrilled/ just sounded like drunk hillbillies(btw- thats a review of our 3yo live demo)
    -clinging stubbornly
    -cliche country bullshit/ lackluster/ lyrical flatulance
    -country cop-outs
    -intelligent in its own way

    ill let you decide if these are compliments or insults.

    after reading it a few times i could tell that you were trying to compliment... but not with out the continuous and unnecessary 'i hate country' precursor.

    this may have been an honest review but it also lacks content...

    -who is in the band?
    -what instruments do they play?
    -what is the talent level?
    -who produced the album?
    -who recorded the album?
    -when was it released?

    i do want to thank you for noticing the title track listed last to calmly invite the listener to play again and again.

    we understand that this is your opinion blog and not professional journalism. thank you for your kind review.

    oh- you should know we prefer Jim Beam not Jack.

    Brother Ron,
    BROTHER BILL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Brother Bill for your brave self-identification and pointed (and very well-organized, may I say) rebuttal to my (semi- solicited by your bandmate/namesake Brother Bill) album review (not artist feature/ bio-based column as you've insinuated it perhaps should have been, with your content suggestions).
    Thank you also for your recognition that this is a personal blog and "not professional journalism." I used to have a sort of "disclaimer" stating such (along the lines that this blog is based on my "not-always-humble" opinion); I removed it, as I deemed it unnecessary as, in the (limited) history of my blog's comment-bashers, most (if not all) have simply done said bashing as a result of petty personal vendettas against either the bands or myself; it is rarely the case that people mistake my (stylistic choice of) tongue-in-cheekiness, sarcasm and "attitude" for me disliking the music.
    Might I ask everyone to bear in mind that there are still critics out there-- which I consider myself, and for which I have earned praise, respect and "professional journalism" jobs-- and not everyone is out there to suck off musicians just for recording music. Anyone can do that.
    If anything, Brother Ron, take it as a compliment that there are people out there (at least me) spending copious amounts of time and energy on listening, evaluating, and articulating (published and public) responses to your music. Forget the money I spent to buy your record in order to listen to it in the first place.
    As for you, Mrs. Ron, it might be advantageous for you to re-read my column having read this response and knowing that I liked it-- liked the band enough to purchase the record in the first place and listen to it enough times to review it. If I had just been out to dis it, I wouldn't have wasted my time writing about it in the first place. So take off those defensive shades and put some rosy ones on, 'cause jeeze, there are bigger criminals than writers out there; life's too short to pick blog fights.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous4:53 PM

    ugh!.. i cant resist.

    self id?

    i know exactly what my bandmates think.

    the content q's are mostly about the album w/ minimal breifing for the reader. it probably wast necessary to bash our 3yo live demo too.

    tounge-in-cheek sarcasm may make colorful sentences but are perceived as snarky and spawned from negativity. i think this is the message i send to you. i understand your writing style and wish to tell you that you do write not-so-thinly-veiled insults. i invite you to please re-read my previous comment.

    i would never ask you to change a thing. just know it does not go un-noticed. you may consider yourself a fan, but yes, you play the role of a critic- which is fine... but lets not delude ourselves- thats 50/50 review. fine.

    we can be friends if ya want-- i think me and Mrs Ron have gotten enough chuckle out of this!

    thank you for your continued time and effort.

    Brother Ron,
    BROTHER BILL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you guys got a laugh! Not sure if you've been to my MySpace lately (link at the top) but Brother Bill has been my #1 Top Friend since the day I made my MySpace. Not THAT prestigious of an honor, I'm aware, but I hope that helps you see me as more of a fan than a critic, although I'm the first to admit that I am both!
    Hopefully we can agree to disagree and you can see my review as publicity for your band (since we both know the "bad kind" of publicity doesn't exist).
    Brother Ron, take care of yourself and Mrs. Ron and any Ronlings that might be running around. :)
    Keep rockin' and hopefully the next time I catch one of your shows we can laugh about this over a shot of JIM (my bad).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous5:58 PM

    myspace honor!

    no bad press!

    three young, lady Ronlings!

    *smoooches*

    Brother Ron,
    BROTHER BILL

    ReplyDelete