Thursday, January 28, 2010

R.I.P.

American literary legend J.D. Salinger is dead today at age 91.

Although this post might not be in keeping with the theme of the rest of my writing here, Salinger is probably the hugest contributor to my writing-- my inspiration to write in the first place-- and, I feel, a contributor to who I am and my perspective on life, and I think it would be wrong not to pay tribute to him somehow. To me, he was more than an author, as "Catcher In The Rye" found me during the midst of a post-adolescent existential crisis; borrowed from a friend, that book flowed into my soul and permeated so much of my being that you could say it really has become a part of me. It's been the book I've reached for so many times when I just needed something and wasn't sure what, and sure enough, I've always found the answers I needed within its pages.

It's strange, then, that about a week ago, I felt that I was receiving many signs that I was supposed to read "Franny and Zooey," so I went to the library and checked it out. The librarian asked me if I had read it; I said no, and she replied "Oh, you're in for a treat." We got in a brief discussion about "Catcher," after which I went across the street to Something's Brewing and read nearly the first half of it at once.
     I finished it last night.
     Afterward, I was in the shower, somewhat morbidly wondering when Salinger would pass on, and found myself wishing I could hear him speak in person, at a seminar or some sort of lecture before that day came. And then, moments ago, I got an e-mail from my stepfather informing me of Salinger's passing. Needless to say-- and hopefully you read this without a hint of melodrama-- I was devastated (though somewhat intrigued at the coincidence).

I've never felt this way about the passing of someone I don't know-- a "celebrity"-- but I truly feel as though I've lost a friend. His words echo in my mind on a daily basis and bring me so much comfort, inspiration, and perspective every time I read him.
     So, J.D., this is my humble eulogy to you. Thank you so, so much for everything that you gave to us; thank you for being so much more than just an author. You leave behind a posterity of readers and writers who will sorely miss you for generations.

Humbly, respectfully, and sadly I offer my condolences to all of you who feel the way I do.

Jerome David "J.D." Salinger: 1/1/19- 1/27/10. You made me believe that words could change the world and that sometimes silence can speak even louder.

No comments:

Post a Comment