Friday, October 09, 2009

Barking Tuna 2009 NIGHT THREE PREVIEW!

That's right, kids. The full monty, the prestigious Night Three of the Tuna! Here's a little bit of what's going down.

Night Three: Sat 10/10/09 at State Theater

Fruit Bats (Chicago) {pop/folk-rock} [http://www.myspace.com/thefruitbats]
I have to say, on behalf of all Kalamazoo music geeks, it is really exciting that Fruit Bats are playing Barking Tuna this year. Led by singer-songwriter Eric Johnson (no, not that Eric Johnson, guitar nerds), Fruit Bats have been around with various lineups for the past several years, and signed to Sub Pop since '02. They have even played alongside indie heroes the Shins. Also, after they play this show, they are embarking on a European tour... But enough credentials and nerdery.
As for the music. Not to get all Carrie Bradshaw but...
"When listening to this band, I couldn't help but wonder: is there such a thing as too indie?"

My answer: no. And if there is, Fruit Bats aren't (Bright Eyes? maybe?). I just impulsively bought this band's music from their Myspace, and you know you like music when you pay for it. Tell you what... before you go to the show on Saturday, do yourself a favor, and listen to the music, because you're going to want to sing along. I promise. Check out "When U Love Somebody."

Small Brown Bike (Marshall, MI) {screamo} [http://www.myspace.com/smallbrownbike04]
Don't get mad at me, K-zoo scene kids, but... Yikes.
Just yikes.
Not to be a snob, but how did an screamo band from Marshall land this spot anyway? Screamo is over. It should have never happened and it's done now. Acclimate!
Can I please go back to Fruit Bats?!

Notes To Self (Toronto) {hip-hop} [http://www.myspace.com/notestoself]
This is another opportunity we don't get in Kalamazoo a whole lot: A GOOD HIP-HOP SHOW!!!
I want to reiterate what I said about bluegrass last weekend: just because you think it's not your scene doesn't mean you won't have a completely awesome time. Not only is hip-hop fairly rare to come by as far as live music goes, Kalamazoo doesn't really have the facilities, a following or a much of a scene at all for hip-hop. [P.S. This is something I've wanted to talk about for a long time, and I feel now is the time to discuss it. "Hip-hop" and "rap" are not the same thing. "Rapping" is the VOCAL PART of "hip-hop" music. That would be like calling rock music "singing" or "shouting," neither of which you would ever do, right?] [Thanks for humoring me there. Just a little pet peeve I had to shout.]
So, moving on, as a closet hip-hop enthusiast, I am PSYCHED for Notes To Self. Notes to Self is from Toronto, but they have a distinct West Coast influence: hypnotically smooth, swaying beats riding under articulate rapping that ranges from defiant to introspective and even psychological ("I'm about me/ I never got enough me as a child").
I'm digging the studio work posted on their Myspace, but, like all hip-hop acts, I'm sure their live show will produce a completely different sound. So I'm interested for now, and stoked for tomorrow night. Because, as you can see, it's official: THIS ENTIRE SHOW IS GOING TO BE AMAZING.

The Verdict:
Fruit Bats-- You are magical and beautiful.
Small Brown Bike-- I still have faith in you. I'm just a little perplexed. Not judgin'!
Notes To Self-- Please stay here in Kalamazoo! And bring your friends! Live, good hip-hop every weekend? That would be great. Canada sucks anyway.

See you guys at the show!

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:53 PM

    what's all this with NO COMMENTS?!
    isn't anyone reading this stuff.. it's delightful!

    next time you eat an orange hold the fresh peel in the sunlight and squeeze it.. it's a quick little spray of this amazing aroma...

    that's what this writing is like.
    thank you. mrbop

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks mr bop! i'm thrilled you think of my writing as an aromatic squeeze. you rock!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for blogging, and keeping us updated on the Kazoo music scene. Good place to turn for no bullshit reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicholas Stafford10:10 AM

    Small Brown Bike is screamo now? Wow, what happened?

    Also, Seconding Bright Eyes as "too indie." I bet hipsters listen to Monsters of Folk "ironically" now, whatever that means...

    ReplyDelete